9.16.2010

Happy Week of Carly

Most people get a day that they get to celebrate in honor of their day of birth. That's what separates my little sister, Carly from the rest of the holiday celebrating world. Carly does not just celebrate her birthday on September 16th, she somehow managed to create a Week of Carly. We have all learned not to schedule anything during this week, or we'll never hear the end of it. She is so lucky that she married an amazing person that fully agrees that there should be a Week of Carly. Jordan has accepted this challenge and manages to out-do himself every year. The Week of Carly came about because Carly has some deeply rooted wounds of a year that her birthday landed on one of the days we were on a family vacation. Somehow, my parents got so wrapped up in our vacation that they forgot her birthday. She will never allow anyone to forget again! However, I found out today that she is still sensitive about the whole situation. I made the huge mistake of calling her to tell her a story without wishing her Happy Birthday first. Oops! Happy Birthday Carly! Here's a little about Carly that most people don't know:

1. When something is really funny, her laugh turns into this really funny cackle...okay, I know, so does mine...so what?!
2. When she was in college, one of her roommates let a drunk guy sleep in her bed. When she came home, she knelt down on the bed and realized that the drunk guy PEED HER BED! Yup, she knelt in a drunk guy's pee.
3. She has the smallest feet...ever.
4. She DOES NOT ride rides. I used to get in so much trouble because I teased her ruthlessly about being afraid and she insisted that it's because she gets motion sickness. She has since come clean about it not really making her sick, she really was afraid.
5. When she'd find dead things like spiders, mice, or birds in the house, she would put a paper towel over it and write "bird" or "spider" on it so that someone else would clean it up. Yes, she got away with this and yes, we often had dead birds in our house. That's a story for another time. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

May I please remind you and Carly that we celebrated her birthday before we went on vacation, and I am NOT A MORNING PERSON and so cannot be held responsible for not remembering what day it was until 11:00 am. I still love you both even though you never forgive me for anything.

Unknown said...

By the way, I love that particular picture very much.

Christian and Melissa said...

I hate to say it, but I don't even remember where we were or what we were doing when we forgot her birthday. Basically, I forgot when we even forgot her birthday, but Carly won't let us forget that it happened. :)

The Bird's Nest said...

I want you to know that I knew all of the little tidbits on Carly. I also know that you all forgot her birthday on your trip to Disneyland. Wasn't it also her 16th birthday? I say more power to her for getting everyone to do what she wants but then again she's always had that power. Do you remember her "Cheese" smile? We love you Carly!